Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Be Happy

That's something we've had to practice in our house recently. Being happy. The last two weeks of parenting have been hard. Friends have been telling me for a while now that three is much harder than two, and sometimes four is even worse. Eli has seemed to do a lot of things on the early side, and it looks like we're experiencing the 'horrible 3's' a few months before making it to three. He walked early, he talked early, and now he's become the ultimate sass talking and authority on everything three year old that we'd been warned about. It's exhausting! I rejoice every time I see a glimpse of his sweet old self, and praise Jesus that he's still in there! Yes, I'm exaggerating a bit, but it does seem that way some days. Thankfully, there are more good days than bad. I've spent a lot of time in prayer asking for extra strength and patience. Asking for the ability to show grace and understanding. Asking for the right words to share with him, and that maybe, just maybe some of them will register! I know it's a God thing when Eli comes up to me 20 times a day and says "I love you SO much mommy." And then immediately finds his sister and tells her the same thing. This parenting thing is not easy, and it only gets harder as they grow. I'm so thankful that we're not on our own in this! And since I started writing this a few days ago and never finished, I'd like to report that my happy boy seems to be back :). HE never gives us more than we can handle...thankfully!
We started using a little sticker behavior chart this week. I think it's definitely helped. Just a little visual representation of his good choices throughout the week. He gets a sticker for things like using nice words, saying please & thank you, not arguing with mommy & daddy, and listening the first time. The last one being his biggest challenge most days.
I'm very thankful that he's still so smitten with Layla, and hasn't shown a bit of jealousy yet. He is so proud every time he makes her smile, and very loudly announces that, 'Layla likes me!!' I pray that she always does! :)

Aunt Katie took some more extra sweet pictures while they were in town. So fun to look at the differences between her newborn and 6 week photos.
Can't get enough of her squinty eyed side-mouthed smiles!
She loves her daddy!
Couldn't be more thankful for the opportunity to spend each and every day with my two little blessings. The hard times, silly times, sick times, tired times you name it! There's simply no other job in this world that I'd rather be doing.

1 comment:

  1. She is SO cute Ashley! I just want to eat her up! And the sassy little boy business?? Right there with you girl! We can do ALL things through HIM who strengthens us, right?

    ReplyDelete