Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Blessings

One of my greatest blessings in life...


Today as I was driving down the road, I was hit with some pretty powerful lyrics. I usually change the radio station when a song with this type of meaning comes on, mostly to avoid the tears that are sure to come. If it weren't for my love for country music, I would probably have a much easier time avoiding sad songs and painful memories.

I haven't been able to listen to any form of daddy/daughter songs since my dad past away. The words always just hit way too close to home. One in particular that I have the hardest time with, is the song that my dad and I were to dance to on our wedding day. It's called 'I loved her first,' by Heartland.

"...I was enough for her not long ago
I was her number one
She told me so
And she still means the world to me
Just so you know
So be careful when you hold my girl
Time changes everything
Life must go on
And I'm not gonna stand in your way

But I loved her first and I held her first
And a place in my heart will always be hers
From the first breath she breathed
When she first smiled at me
I knew the love of a father runs deep
And I prayed that she'd find you someday
But it still hard to give her away
I loved her first"

I have even more appreciation for this song now that I'm a mother. What a huge blessing our children are, and we simply want the absolute best for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment